For about the last month or so, I’ve
been drinking my water with a slice of lemon. I usually cut a couple lemons
into wedges, throw them in a Ziploc baggie and keep them in the fridge at work.
Whenever I fill up my water bottle, I add a lemon to it. It’s really helped me
get more water in (I’ve actually been rockin’ the water intake lately and I’m surprised
at how much I drink on a regular basis now!)
But a co-worker that sees me
constantly drinking the lemon water concoction, recently told me that I could be
ruining my teeth, as lemons can erode your tooth enamel. Ummm, yeah that’s a
lil scary.
So bring on the Google search!
I learned that although the citric
acid in lemons CAN erode your tooth enamel, it’s not any worse than what sugar
or soda does to them! If you were to eat the lemon directly, this could cause
more problems, but with lemon water you are already diluting the lemon
properties. Also, If you are taking care of your teeth, it shouldn’t be a
problem. Some articles I read suggested a baking soda rinse, special toothpaste
or cutting back to ¼ lemon a day.
I personally haven’t had any problems
with my teeth in the last month. I haven’t noticed any changes with my teeth at
all actually – no sensitivity or dis-coloring or gum problems. I’m not a dentist though, so this is just my
personal experience.
The more I research lemon water, the
more GOOD news I found that
definitely overcomes the one bad thing.
Lemon is like this fantastic “drug”
that
people do not use enough!
~ Aids in Digestion (perfect if you
suffer from indigestion or heart burn or tummy problems!)
~ Clears skin complexion
~ Balance pH
~ Helps with cravings
~ Suppresses appetite
~ Boosts your Immune System
~ Increases Energy (can even REPLACE your coffee!)
~ Eliminate water retention because it's a diuretic
How did I not know about this sooner?!
I didn’t realize simply adding a lemon to my water was helping with all that!
Some other helpful tips I've seen:
1. Drink your lemon water warm - the heat absorbs the lemon more.
2. Don't immediately brush your teeth after eating citrus acid, because
your enamel will be vulnerable right after and the act of brushing can
actually do more harm.
3. Lemons have been used for many decades to treat the cold, flu, liver problems, kidney stones, digestion problems, asthma, sore throats, urinary tract infections, etc. It can be used to brighten skin, clarify your hair, add natural highlights to your hair and bleach your fingernails white.
So drink up! I'll have a water with lemon, please :)
XOXO,
Crystal
I love lemon in my water too especially at the restaurants :)
ReplyDelete