3/21/12

Run like the wind


I have been sooo excited that I’ve been able to work out OUTSIDE in the evenings now that it’s getting darker later. With the exception of last night (because we were house searching until dark), I have ran/walked 2 miles every day for the last week. Sometimes I take my dog, but more often than not it’s just me and the road. (My dog can either walk or sprint, there’s no in between for her, so usually I just walk with her and I hate it…)

I’ve been trying to run for as long as I can. The goal is to eventually be able to run the entire 2 miles, even if it’s at a slower pace. I think beginning next week I’m going to add in another 2 miles of walk/run so I get 4 miles to work it out :) I have been slacking on the lunch time workouts only because I’ve been so busy at work, that I’ve been scarfing down my sandwich and working through lunch. I’m going to get back on track with those this week too! 
(Side note: I've been doing fabulous on my "Basic Meal Plan"...so much simpler when I simplify my diet! Only thing I've been skipping is the protein shake after workouts...)

The only downfall in the evenings has been the hot, hot, hot 85 degrees weather (I live in SoFlo), but I’m not complaining. I just tough it out! I’m determined to run those damn 2 miles asap, even if it means I am dripping a gallon of sweat when I am done (ewwww, sorry for the mental pic!)



So today I am asking everyone – what are your beginner running tips? Anything I should know? What I should be eating before/after (which has been nothing before, dinner after so nothing extra)? I’m hoping and dreaming that I’ll be running 2 miles straight by the end of this month. Help your girl out with the running “secrets” :)

XOXO, 
Crystal

10 comments:

  1. It's great to have a goal. I'm sure you can do it if you just keep running. Your stamina will increase and you'll be able to run longer and longer. 80 degrees! Whoa. I.m in So Cal...and we are not quite there yet!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we never even had a winter lol!

      Delete
  2. Hey! You are doing awesome! Are you following any kind fo running training program? Those can be really helpful. I followed the couch to 5k program after I had my kids and wanted to run. You don't want to do too much too soon because you will hurt yourself or burn out. So build up slowly. Make good playlists. Google Jeff Galloway & the C25k program. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely look into the C25K, thanks! I've heard of it every where, but never looked into it. Doing it right now :)

      Delete
  3. hey, just wanted to let you know there's something wonky wit your feed. it's not coming through properly on reader (half of it gets cut off and this particular post just came through as symbols).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tip: Just keep at it but make sure you listen to your body. It knows what to do. Also, get good running shoes and make kick butt music mixes to keep you pumped while you run. Good luck! Perhaps picking a 5K in the distant future would give you a great goal to strive for. =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just make sure you listen to your body, wear good shoes, and don't do too much too soon - or you could get injured and that would suck! Take it slow, the best things are worth waiting for. :) But the 2mile thing sounds reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think what you are doing is smart. It's important to push yourself gradually but not too hard too fast. I think stretching before and after really helps injury prevention!

    Good luck with it! I never thought I would become an avid runner (if my PE teachers could only see me now haha)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the tips ladies!!!!

    ReplyDelete